First Year Fellows Program
- Year-long program for 1L students
- Build skills that will help you become a leader and launch a career in public interest and social justice work.
- Terrific way to connect with other students and attorneys who share common interests and career goals.
- Includes monthly workshops and opportunities for networking and mentoring with attorneys and community leaders
Attend monthly workshops scheduled around your 1L class schedule. Topics may include:
- Public Interest Careers
- Current Climate for Low-Income Families in Washington
- Day in the Life of a Public Interest Attorney
- Cultural Competency/Working with Clients in Poverty
- Client Interviewing
- Professional Responsibility for Law Student Interns
- Courthouse Visit
- Poverty Simulation
- Finding, Applying for, and Interviewing for Public Interest Positions
- Networking Opportunities with Public Interest Attorneys
1L students interested in becoming an ATJI First Year Fellow must provide a one-page personal statement answering the following:
- What in your personal and professional background has motivated you to explore a career in public interest?
- How will you use your skills/experience to promote social justice and public interest during law school?
Applications must be submitted by email NO LATER THAN 5 P.M. FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 22, 2023 to Lily Su at ATJI, firstname.lastname@example.org.