John A. Strait, Emeritus Professor of Law, Distinguished Practitioner in Residence, and Professional Ethics Counsel, is a graduate of Yale Law School. Professor Strait has served on the Washington Supreme Court's Judicial Ethics Advisory Committee, the King County Bar Association Campaign Ethics Committee, the WSBA Rules of Professional Conduct Committee, and the board of the Washington Chapter of the American Judicature Society. He serves on the board of the WSBA Criminal Law Section, and has served as a governor's appointee to the Statute Law Commission. He serves as Adjunct Investigative Counsel to the Washington State Bar Association Office of Legal Discipline. The clinical component of his course in professional responsibility investigated complaints against lawyers for probable cause for the Washington State Bar Association from 1991-2005. The law school received the E. Smythe Gambrell Professionalism Award from the American Bar Association for the clinical component. Professor Strait served as a member and Chair of the Seattle Port Authority Ethics Advisory Commission from its inception until 2009. Professor Strait joined the faculty in 1974. He is the 2017 WACDL William O. Douglas Award recipient for Extraordinary Courage and Dedication to the Practice of Criminal Law. He is a frequent CLE presenter on legal ethics.
- Some Selected Constitutional Problems for the New Criminal Code for Washington, in Criminal Law and Practice (CLE). (University of Washington 1983). (with George R. Nock).
- WSBA CLE, Washington Legal Ethics Deskbook, 2003 (co-author).
- So Your Client Wants to Lie, Washington State Bar News, Apr. 1987, at 15.
- Equitable Conversion in Washington: The Doctrine That Dares Not Speak Its Name, 1 U. Puget Sound L. Rev. 121 (1977) (with George R. Nock & John W. Weaver).
In the News
- Judges' trips to Costa Rica have the 'potential to be very serious,' ethics expert says
March 08, 2019 | Nashville Tennessean
Ethics expert Professor John Strait says there's a high burden of proof in ethics investigations.
- Meet Lincoln Beauregard, the lawyer who gets 'right up' in Seattle Mayor Ed Murray's face
May 04, 2017
This piece quotes Professor John Strait's court filing in support of sanctions for an aggressive lawyer.
- Deschutes County gag orders trouble legal experts
April 30, 2017
Professor John Strait explains when an attorney's public comments violate state bar guidelines.
- Ethics expert Professor John Strait retires
April 03, 2017
As Professor Strait prepares to retire at the end of this academic year, he reflected on his long career of working to build a bridge between academia and the practicing bar and bench, and remembered with pride the thousands of students he taught who went on to become talented, hard-working lawyers.
- Ethical Questions Surround Ammon Bundy's Legal Team, Strategy
February 05, 2016
Ethics expert Professor John Strait addresses the professional responsibilities of lawyers offering services to militia in the Oregon standoff.
- The Uber of pot: City wonders, is marijuana-delivery app legal?
January 09, 2015
Professor John Strait offers thoughts on the legality of an app for medical marijuana delivery.