A frequent speaker in CLE and other professional and lay programs on land use and environmental law, Professor Settle has been co-editor of the Environmental-Land Use Law Newsletter of the Washington State Bar Association and chair of the Environmental and Land Use Section of the WSBA. He also is Of Counsel to Foster Pepper & Shefelman, Seattle. He joined the faculty in 1972.
- The Washington State Environmental Policy Act: A Legal and Policy Analysis (Butterworth Legal Publishers 1987; rev. ed. 2002).
- Washington Land Use and Environmental Law and Practice (Butterworth Legal Publishers 1983).
- The 'Uncharted Waters' of Takings, in The New Frontier of Takings Law, and What it Means to You: A Practical Primer for Land Use Attorneys, Planners and Developers(1995).
- Recent Developments in the Law: Regulatory Takings: The Public Trust Doctrine: Odds and Ends, in Best of CLE 1988.
- Washington’s Growth Management Revolution Goes to Court, 23 Seattle U. L. Rev. 5 (1999).
- Filling Legislative Gaps in Washington's Growth Management Law, Land Use Law & Zoning Digest 3 (1998) (with Charles R. Wolfe).
- Washington State Regulatory Reform: Jekyll and Hyde '95, 47 Land Use Law & Zoning Dig. 3 (1995) (with J. Tayloe Washburn and Charles R. Wolfe).
- The Growth Management Revolution in Washington: Past, Present, and Future, 16 U. Puget Sound L. Rev. 867 (1993) (with Charles G. Gavigan).
- Regulatory Taking Doctrine in Washington: Now You See It, Now You Don't, 12 U. Puget Sound L. Rev. 339 (1989).
- Environmental Assessment: The Washington State Environmental Policy Act and 1984 SEPA Rules, 2 Northwest Envtl J. 35 (1986).
- Washington Land Use and Environmental Law in a Nutshell, Washington State Bar News, May 1986, at 15.
- Lawyers, the Administrative Process, and Land Use Law (Part I), Washington Prop. L. Rep., (Dec.-Jan. 1984), at 1 (with Peter Buck).
- Lawyers, the Administrative Process, and Land Use Law (Part II), Washington Prop. L. Rep., (Feb.-Mar. 1984), at 1 (with Peter Buck).
- Potential Legal Facilitation or Impediment of Wind Energy Conversion System Siting, 58 Wash. L. Rev. 387 (1983).