Withdrawal from Individual Courses

The policies apply to withdrawal from individual courses. For policies related to withdrawal from the School of Law please see the Student Handbook.

Course Withdrawal Form

Students requesting withdrawal from individual courses must submit a completed Late Registration Change Form to the Office of the Registrar.

Withdrawal Deadline

During the fall and spring semesters, students may withdraw from courses by notifying the Law School Registrar before the end of the fifth week of classes. During the summer semester, students may withdraw from courses by notifying the Law School Registrar before the end of the third week of classes. After the withdrawal deadline, students must receive the approval of the professor and the Associate Dean for Student Affairs to withdraw from a course.

The following exception applies: 

In courses involving a commitment to parties outside the law school or courses where a student's withdrawal may have an adverse effect upon the education of other students, an earlier withdrawal deadline may be set. Students will be notified of this deadline before the end of the first week of classes.

Professor Approvals

The approval of the course professor is required after the withdrawal deadline.

Associate Dean for Student Affairs Approval

The approval of the Associate Dean for Student Affairs is required if any of the following apply:

  1. A first-year law student is requesting a withdrawal.
  2. A student is requesting withdrawal after the withdrawal deadline.
  3. The student will be registered for a credit underload.


Students who withdraw from a course before the withdrawal deadline will have a W (withdrawn) recorded on their transcript. W grades do not impact grade point average.

After the withdrawal deadline, a WF (withdrawn failing) grade may be recorded on the transcript. WF grades are failing grades and impact the grade point average in the same way an F grade would.

Tuition Refunds

Students withdrawing from a class or from school are subject to the Tuition Refund Policy. Questions regarding refunds should be directed to the Business Office at 206-398-4050 or lawbusinessoff@seattleu.edu.

Financial Aid

Changing your credit load can change your financial aid eligibility. Please contact Law Student Financial Services at 206-398-4250 or lawfa@seattleu.edu if you have any questions regarding the financial aid implications of your enrollment change.