Newsroom

Contact Us

Tina Ching
Director, Marketing & Communications
(206) 398-4108

Ryan Barnes
Assistant Director,
Design & Brand Marketing
(206) 398-4177

Claudine Benmar
Assistant Director,
Communications & Public Relations
(206) 398-4175

Seattle U Law welcomes diverse incoming class

August 19, 2016

Dean Annette Clark speaks at 2016 orientation.Representing 26 states and a wide variety of undergraduate studies as well as previous careers, the newest group of Seattle University School of Law students started their first full year of legal education this week.

We welcomed 200 first-year law students to campus. And, for the first time, we also opened our doors to students seeking advanced legal degrees with our new LLM and MLS programs.

The law school remains the most diverse in the Pacific Northwest, with 33 percent students of color in the incoming class. The average age is 27, and the group is 63 percent female, 37 percent male. More than 11 percent identify as LGBTQ.

At 1L Orientation, Dean Annette Clark '89 called law school a collaborative learning experience, where faculty and students can learn from each other. "When done right, we're all engaged in learning every single day," she said. "We should all be transformed by the experience."

Prior to law school, students studied finance, environmental science, elementary education, biology, psychology, English, and the ever-popular political science. While 70 percent of the new students are from Washington state, the remaining 30 percent hail from 25 other states, including Texas and Virginia.

Many students come to law school directly from undergraduate studies, but others come from the working world. Our students have been consultants, teachers, fundraisers, legislative aides, and even medical personnel. Together they represent 94 undergraduate institutions. Eight percent served in the military.

"As we begin this journey that I describe as one of love, study, and struggle," Dean Clark said, "let me emphasize to you how much the profession and the world need your humanity, your passion, your professionalism, and your dedication to using law as an instrument for good and for justice."