Application and Registration
How to apply for an Externship
1. If this is your first time applying or if you need suggestions on where to apply, schedule an appointment on TWEN to speak with externship faculty. All students applying to externships for the first time are required to meet with faculty before starting the application process.
2. Fill out an Externship Application form (found here) and submit it to email@example.com. This form is an "intent to participate" form and will enable the Externship Program Office to know what sites you are interested in.
3. Look at the site profiles in the sponsorship database on the Externship Program website HERE. Be sure to check the "materials" portion of the site profile. For each semester, you should begin by submitting applications for sites that fall within ONE area/seminar. Please be advised that a new policy adopted in August 2016 prohibits students from taking the same seminar twice. For example, students cannot do two criminal externships for credit. This change is to help students learn a broad array of skills in a variety of settings in both externships and clinical courses. Students externing at sites are assigned to a seminar based on the following categories:
- Legal Services Organizations and other Non-profits (Civil Seminar);
- Government Agencies and In-house Counsel's Offices (IH/GOV Seminar);
- Courts and Administrative Tribunals (Judicial Seminar);
- Legislative and Lobbying Organizations (Legislative Seminar- SPRING ONLY);
- International Organizations and Tribunals (International Seminar).
(NOTE: To secure a place in a given seminar you must submit at least THREE completed applications within that area/seminar. You can indicate which is your first choice; we will send that one first only if there is plenty of time before the next semester, if not we will send out all three together.)
4. If you haven't done so before, visit CPD to have your resume reviewed.
5. Email your materials to the Externship Program Office at firstname.lastname@example.org, Once your materials have been sent to our office, we will give you suggested edits on your cover letter before forwarding your materials to the site supervisors.
The application packet consists of:
- Student Externship Application Form (only one application form needs to be filled out per semester);
- Cover letter addressed to the Supervising Attorney or contact person listed for the sponsor on the Externship Sponsors Database;
- Unofficial law school transcript, including classes in progress;
- Writing Sample, where requested; and
- Additional materials as requested by site (see database materials requirement).
All application materials for each externship site will be forwarded to the supervisor or contact person. You must accept the first offer received, so we recommend applying to your top choices first.